Feb. 22, 2013
The National Restaurant Association and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation announced today that they have elected officers to their Board of Directors and Board of Trustees, respectively. The officers began their 1-year terms on Jan. 1, and recently led their first board meetings. In addition, the Association and the Educational Foundation have named several industry leaders to join their boards.
"The National Restaurant Association Board of Directors and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation Board of Trustees include dynamic leaders from across the foodservice industry, all of whom play key roles and provide strategic guidance as we work to help our members continue to build successful businesses and positively impact the communities they serve," said Dawn Sweeney, president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation.
The National Restaurant Association's 2013 officers are:
Chair: Philip J. Hickey Jr. is CEO of Jocks II Inc., and previously served as chairman and CEO of two public restaurant companies, RARE Hospitality International Inc., an Atlanta-based company whose concepts included LongHorn Steakhouse and Capital Grille, and O'Charley's Inc., a Nashville-based multi-concept company. A veteran of more than 37 years in the industry, in addition to having been a single restaurant owner-operator, Hickey also operates a nationwide consulting business that focuses on coaching senior level executives.
Vice chair: Marshall L. "Ken" Conrad is chairman of Libby Hill Seafood Restaurants, a nine-location company based in Greensboro, N.C. His parents founded the company in 1953, with a single restaurant. Conrad began as a cook in one of his parents' restaurants and became company president in 1983. A former chairman of the North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association, he served on its board for more than 20 years. He has been a member of the NRA Board of Directors since 2004.
Treasurer: Jack Crawford is president and CEO of Ground Round Independent Owners Cooperative (IOC) based in Freeport, Maine, where he is responsible for the overall leadership of Ground Round Restaurants, a chain of 30 independently owned restaurants in 12 states spread across the Midwest and Northeast areas of the U.S. He has more than 30 years of industry experience in senior leadership positions of operational and franchising disciplines, and was instrumental in leading a franchisee buyout of the Ground Round brand and franchise rights in 2004. Crawford is a former chairman of the Maine Restaurant Association and has been a member of the NRA Board of Directors since 2003.
In addition, the National Restaurant Association has added new members to its board. The newly elected board directors include the following individuals:
- Glenn Brady, president of Silver Gulch Brewing and Bottling in Fox, Alaska
- Ed Choe, president of Doherty Enterprises, Inc. in Allendale, N.J.
- Don Fox, CEO of Firehouse of America in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Susan P. Gambardella, Vice President, Wendy's Global Account Team of Coca-Cola Refreshments in Atlanta
- Trey Hester, president of Rocky Rococo Corporation in Oconomowoc, Wis.
- Maureen O. Hurley, EVP/chief administrative officer of Rich Products Corporation in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Lisa Ingram, president and COO, Restaurant Division of White Castle System, Inc. in Columbus, Ohio
- Lyndon S. Johnson, president of Reciprocity Restaurant Group LLC in Tulsa, Okla.
- Anthony Joseph, president of Concessions International, LLC in Atlanta, Ga.
- John Longstreet, president & CEO of Quaker Steak & Lube in Sharon, Penn.
- Karen L. Luey, EVP, chief financial and administrative officer of Jamba, Inc. in Emeryville, Calif.
- Lisa McEuen, EVP of Business Excellence of Compass Group, North America in Mountain View, Calif.
- Sheila Stanziale, president of Diageo-Guinness USA in Norwalk, Conn.
- Kelli Valade, COO of Chili's Grill & Bar, Brinker International Inc. in Dallas, Texas
The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation's 2013 officers are:
Chair: Denise Marie Fugo, FMP, is chairman and CEO of Sammy's in Cleveland, Ohio, specializing in banquet, concession and restaurant management for cultural, academic and corporate venues throughout northeast Ohio. Under Denise's leadership, Sammy's has received the prestigious Distinguished Restaurants of North America Award and the Wine Spectator's Award for Excellence. The NRAEF named her to its distinguished College of Diplomats in 2010. Fugo was 2000 chair of the National Restaurant Association Board of Directors.
Vice chair: Michael Gibbons is president and CEO of Mainstreet Ventures Inc. based in Ann Arbor, Mich. Since 1981, Mainstreet Ventures has set the standard for fine dining in Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Florida and most recently Maryland. The company's portfolio includes Real Seafood Company, Gratzi, Blue Pointe Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, Palio Ristorante, La Dolce Vita, Tidewater Grill, Ciao, The Chop House, Zia's Italian, Carson's American Bistro and its latest concept, EO Burgers. Gibbons was 2009-2010 chairman of the NRA and is a former president of the Michigan Restaurant Association.
The newly elected Educational Foundation trustees include Joyce Mazero, partner at Haynes & Boone LLP in Richardson, Texas and Walter Scheib, former White House chef and owner of The American Chef Inc. in Great Falls, Va.
Read more about operations management.